Beth Gallagher Dairy Entry 54, Volume 2

August 3, 2000
Dear Diary,

I had the strangest dream last night! Let me see if I can remember how it went. I’ll just tell you each thing as it comes to me. Okay. Here goes:
Darkness. It pressed in on me and I couldn't breathe. I took a deep breath, but I still needed more air. I gasped, but I just couldn't catch my breath. Pressure pushed against the back of my eyes. My ears felt full and pulsed. My head spun. I squeezed my eyes shut and focused on slow, deep breaths. It helped a lot. My racing heart finally slowed, but a metallic smell invaded my senses until I could actually taste it. Blood. My heart started to pound again.
I wondered where I was at and what had happened to me. I opened my mouth to speak, but I couldn't push the words out.
“Take it easy. I’m right here.” A deep, soothing voice filled my ears, lifting a weight that pressed against my chest. He swept my bangs aside with a strong, gentle hand, and warm comfort wrapped around my heart. I relaxed and let out a breath as if I’d been holding it. “That’s it. Everything is going to be alright, now. I promise,” he said.
I opened my eyes to look at him, but I couldn't see him through the thick darkness. Just his eyes. They glowed with kindness and gentleness. Something beautiful and light feeling broke loose from somewhere deep inside me. It bubbled up and spilled into my heart. It sounds funny, I know. But that’s the only way I can describe it.
Then, I woke up. For real. It was the end of my dream. Is that strange or what? What could it mean? Of course, it’s just a dream, so it doesn’t really mean anything. Right? So, why do I feel like somehow there’s something significant about it? And who was my… what was he? A rescuer? A friend? What?

Majorly befuddled,

Beth

5 comments:

  1. Haha, I like her line 'Then, I woke up. For real.' I can just hear the emphasis in her voice. I like where this is going! Lots of foreshadowing, I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeek! So glad! I was Snoopy Dancing inside after I wrote it. Love it when inspiration hits like that. And, yes. Forshadowing.... ;)

      Delete
  2. very fun excerpts, Linnette! Thank you for sharing your excellent gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing such great excerpts of your excellent talent!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and chatting with me! I hope you enjoyed your time here and will come visit me again! :D

Linnette R Mullin